Company: SSM Health
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Under direct supervision, performs general histological duties
according to established procedures as well as preparation of
histologic slides for microscopic examination and diagnosis by the
pathologist. Histology is the study of the form of structures seen
under the microscope.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collects, labels, processes and preserves tissue specimens
according to established laboratory procedures.
- Prepares sections of tissue for immediate examination, using
frozen section technique to freeze, cut, mount and stain
- Operates computerized laboratory equipment to fix, dehydrate,
and infiltrate with wax, tissue specimens to be preserved for study
by the pathologist.
- With assistance, may perform embedding, cutting, and staining
of tissues and pathology specimens received.
- With assistance, may perform basic histology special stains
using manual or automated methods as appropriate.
- With assistance, may maintains equipment in Histology as
- Performs general histological duties as well as cytology
specimen prep work.
- Analyzes and records data.
- Performs administrative and clerical duties such as answering
the phone, filing and registering patients.
- Cleans and maintains adequate laboratory supplies and work
- Maintains competencies and continuing education to keep
informed of new developments in field.
- Assists in the proficiency testing program in the lab.
- Works in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.EDUCATION
- High school diploma or equivalentEXPERIENCE
- No experience requiredPHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Frequent lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, reaching and repetitive
foot/leg and hand/arm movements.
- Frequent use of vision and depth perception for distances near
(20 inches or less) and far (20 feet or more) and to identify and
- Frequent use of hearing and speech to share information through
oral communication. Ability to hear alarms, malfunctioning
- Frequent keyboard use/data entry.
- Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, twisting and
- Occasional lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects
weighing 25-50 lbs.
- Rare climbing.Required
Keywords: SSM Health, St. Louis , Histotechnician, Other , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!