This position is 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
We are offering a $10,000 sign on bonus for experienced
nurses to join our team!
*Must have 2 years of experience to qualify.
The Registered Nurse is a professional practitioner who assesses,
manages, directs, and provides nursing care care activities during
the patient's hospital stay and coordinates planning with other
disciplines utilizing a patient/customer driven approach.
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
Essential Functions: The following are essential job
accountabilities and performance criteria:
1) Performs comprehensive nursing
A) Performs age-appropriate admission
assessment or transfer assessment. Obtains input from
family/guardian when appropriate.
B) Accurately and completely documents
C) Performs assessment of
post-op/post-invasive procedure patients.
D) Assesses and documents education and
discharge needs of patient and family on admission and
E) Provides patient reassessment documenting
pertinent observations according to the patient plan
of care, changes in condition, status and/or diagnosis, response to
care, procedures, etc., and standards of
2) Establishes, coordinates and evaluates a
plan of care based on analysis of assessment data,
patient diagnosis, lab data, tests, procedures, physician
orders, protocols and standards of care and other
information as relevant.
A)Identifies short and long term goals based on patient
B)Formulates nursing interventions to achieve desired
C) Incorporates disease specific evidenced
based practice into nursing care plan and other
3)Provides and documents nursing interventions based on
assessed patient needs, plan of care, and changes in
A) Collaborates with appropriate health team
members for coordination of daily plan of care for
B) Provides, coordinates and communicates
patient care, including accurate Handoff Communication
C) Administers and documents medications
accurately according to policies and
D) Monitors, maintains and documents accurate
IV fluids and parenteral nutrition according to
policies and procedures.
E) Completes referrals as indicated by
F) Requests consultation for special needs,
equipment, or information for patient and/or
G) Provides patient/family education and
discharge planning per documentation guidelines and
H) Clarifies all physician orders as
I) Acknowledges and implements physician
orders in an accurate and timely manner as evidenced
by documentation in the medical record.
J) Assists physician with
procedures/treatments as requested or delegates to Care
Partner as appropriate.
K) Documents "Readback" for all
telephone/verbal orders only in
M) Recognizes changes in patient's condition
and takes appropriate nursing actions.
N) Involves the family/guardian when
providing care and in decision-making as
O) Recognizes risks for patient and takes
P) Incorporates use of Infection Control
practices in daily care.
4) Documents and or communicates nursing care
and or changes in patient condition.
A) Performs and documents ongoing evaluation
of effectiveness of care based on assessment data,
nursing interventions, patient response to medications,
treatments and procedures.
B) Evaluates and documents effectiveness of
C) Evaluates plan of care and modifies as
indicated in "A" above.
D) Recognizes significant changes in
patient's clinical parameters and reports immediately
to physician and others as indicated.
E) Identifies problems, gathers pertinent
data, suggests solutions, communicates using
appropriate lines of authority, and works toward problem
F) Reports variation from care/treatment
following the occurrence reporting policy and
5)Specialized Care: Provides specialized care to patients
at high risk for injury.
A) Restraint Care
1. Initiates/evaluates alternatives to
restraint prior to application
2.Applies restraints consistent with the approved
3. Monitors and assesses patient's response
throughout the restraint period at the appropriate
4. Provides specified patient care
(toileting, skin care, hydration, feeding, etc.) on a
5. Provides consultation for peers to
determine alternatives to restraints and 1:1
6. Documents restraint use and associated
B) Pain Management
1. Assess patient for presence of pain on
admission and during
2. Incorporates patient's cultural/spiritual
beliefs regarding pain into pain management
3. Implement pain management techniques.
Focus on prevention rather than treatment.
4. Include patient and/or family members in
developing a pain management plan.
5. Consider other methods of pain control when developing
plan of care: massage, repositioning, immobilization,
and music therapy.
C) Abuse Assessment
1. Is aware of abuse recognition criteria and
incorporates it into assessments.
2. Reports signs of possible abuse/neglect to
the Administrative Director of Behavioral Health,
physician, Risk Management and Social Work.
3. Takes appropriate action to support
patient safety when signs of abuse are
6) Demonstrates accountability for own
A) Adheres to all quality and performance standards,
policies, procedures, protocols when implementing
clinical and technical aspects of care.
1. Participates in learning experiences that
increases professional competence.
B) Demonstrates appropriate technical and
cognitive skills for area of practice.
C) Maintains currency in all hospital/unit
information, communication, policies and
1. Attends staff meetings/reviews minutes
2. Participates in Committee(s), Shared
Governance, Work Team(s), in a leadership and or in
3. Reviews Hospital/Nursing
4. Keeps up to date with policies and
5. Participates and or keeps up to date with
Shared Governance and Unit Based Practice Council
activities and information. Contributes to requests for
D) Demonstrates ability to change and adapt
to changing work demands
1. Responds positively to change
2. Provides assistance and support to peers,
co-workers and other team members
3.Adapts positively to changes in unplanned work load and
7) Ability to relate to coworkers in a
professional and appropriate manner.
A) Orients and/or precepts new employees when
B) Participates in and maintains a
collaborative team approach toward work.
C) Functions as a resource person to
co-workers, patients/families, medical staff and other
members of the health care team.
D) Effectively assumes and delegates care and
other activities to the appropriate team
E) Redirects clinical staff when the medical
plan of care is altered.
F) Communicates the plan of care to be
followed on each individual patient in a precise and
G) Responsible for the supervision and
teaching of students/new staff nurses.
8) Safety/Infection Control: Performs job in
accordance with safety and infection control
A) Practices standard precautions and
disposes of hazardous wastes per established
B) Maintains a safe, clean, comfortable, and
therapeutic environment for
patients/families/employees in accordance to hospital
1. Maintains clutter free
2. Follows hand hygiene
3. Utilizes Safe Patient Handling techniques
4. Keeps personal conversations/background
noise to a minimum.
5. Adheres to dress code.
C) Reports risk management concerns using
D) Assumes responsibility for completing all
annual mandatory requirements:
1. Maintains current license and
2. Maintain up to date BLS and HI
3. Annual TB Screening and Influenza
4. Annual Ethics Training (Initial Ethics, if
5. Annual Safety Training
6. Required Information Security
7. Required Abuse & Neglect course
8. Annual Blood Borne Pathogens training (if
9. Coursework as assigned for .edu
10. Annual competency
11. Age/Population specific competency (if
12. orientation competency (if new
13. Service Specific
E) Reports variations from care/treatment following the
occurrence reporting policy and procedure.
9) Service: Provides service excellence to
the customers of Saint Louis University Hospital by
delivering timely, high quality care in a courteous and
A)Demonstrates care and courtesy
1. Provides prompt, respectful, courteous
2. Meets physical, spiritual, psychological
and emotional needs of patients and
3.Works with other members of the health care team to see
that call lights are answered promptly.
4. Apologizes for mix-up and
B) Communicates effectively and maintains
1. Listens to staff/patient/family concerns
and addresses needs.
2. Explains procedures and all education in a
manner that staff/patient/family
3. Allows time for questions.
C) Demonstrates competence and
1. Provides accurate handoff
2. Provides quality care in accordance to
3. Shares knowledge with other departments to
facilitate work flow and continuity.
D) Provides cost effect services
1. Uses resources wisely.
2. Recommends changes in practice that
increases efficiency and minimizes waste.
E) Ensures that customer satisfaction is
maintained through the use of the "Principles and Commitments" of
the hospital AIDET and "One Mission, One Spirit".
10) Incorporates Performance Improvement and
Evidenced Based Practice into individual professional
A) Assist in developing and implementing
nursing unit goals.
B) Remains current with evidenced based
C) Identifies opportunities for improvement,
participates in data collection when requested,
suggests solutions, communicates using appropriate lines of
authority and works toward problem
D) Participates in the performance/process
1. Assists in developing unit based
Performance Improvement and action plans.
2. Leads a performance improvement team when
3. Contributes to data collection
4. Participates in evaluation of Performance
E) Participates in nursing research activities.
F) Participates in Departmental and Hospital Performance
Improvement activities when warranted.
G) Participates in occurrence reviews
H) Contributes to the maintenance/improvement of all
nursing quality indicators.
11) Age Appropriate Care: Provides
age-appropriate care to: _____Adult
A) Demonstrates knowledge and skills of
normal growth & development necessary to provide
services to the age of the patient served by the
B)Demonstrates ability to assess and interpret age
specific data to identify patient needs.
C) Utilizes communication skills necessary to
interpret age specific responses to service and
D) Involves family or significant other in
decision making related to services provided.
E)Demonstrates ability to provide service needed for the
age groups routinely served by the department
12) Cost Effective Services
A) Uses resources efficiently.
B) Recommends change in practice that
increase efficiency and minimize waste.
C) Documents chargeable supplies and
equipment used to provide care.
D) Prioritizes responsibilities and completes
work on time.
E) Utilizes non-clinical time in a
constructive manner, i.e. completing chart audits, .edu,
mandatory education requirements.
DISCLAIMER: Performs other related duties as assigned or
MINIMUM EDUCATION: RN licensure in the State of Missouri,
or new graduate of accredited school of nursing and must obtain
licensure within 90 days of graduation.
WORKING CONDITIONS: May be exposed to the risk of blood
borne diseases. Exposure to unpleasant elements
(accidents, injuries, and illness). Subject to varying
and unpredictable situations. Handles emergency and
crisis situations. Subject to irregular hours.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Occasional prolonged
standing/walking. Occasionally lifts, positions,
pushes and/or transfers patients. Occasional reaching,
stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching.
The above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed. They are not
to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all duties,
responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so
classified. An individual working in their job classification
must also perform specific tasks upon request by
supervisor personnel. Furthermore, the duties and
responsibilities for this job classification are subject to
change at the discretion of the medical
For Nursing Staff
Please read the below standards and
Standard (I understand that . . .)
Our patients deserve care that sets the standard for
excellence and meets the needs of each and every patient
whose care is our primary purpose and mission.
Expectations (So I will . . .)
Achieve Excellence in Infection Control By:
- Isolating per policy
- Consistently adhering to proper infection control
practices and I will educate patients and visitors of the
- Taking responsibility to read, learn, follow, enforce and
remain up to date on Saint Louis University Hospital
policies and procedures.
- Practicing excellent hand washing technique - Wash or gel
my hands when going into and coming out of patient
rooms and between glove use, especial when it relates to
dressing changes, suctioning, etc.
- Change dressings when they need to be changed now rather
than later and maintain all invasive lines as directed
- Vaccinate per policy.
- Notify my supervisor if I see anyone or anything that
puts my patient at risk.
- Utilizing safe practices during crisis situations (i.e.
codes) and transport to other departments, e.g. masks, 02
?Achieve Excellence in Nursing Practice By:
- Contributing in a positive way to the functioning of the
patient care team.
- Taking an active role in practice development through
participation in unit based and hospital committees.
- Ensuring that documentation of patient care is
consistently thorough and legible.
- Rounding with a purpose on each patient.
- Modeling practice excellence to new
- Ensuring that licensure, certifications, and other
mandatory requirements are completed within assigned
?Own and Respect My Environment By:
- Maintaining proper care of and treat all equipment with
respect (clean up after using the microwave, not hit the
walls with beds etc.).
- Maintaining a neat , clean and organized work
- Keeping the nursing station, bathroom, and break room
neat and clean.
- Leaving my patent's room in good order, with supplies in
place, and ready for the next shift and my work area in
the same condition as I would like to see when I
- If I see something out of order I will pick it up, fix
it, or call to have it repaired. I will not assume that someone
else will do it.
- Giving hand-off report to another nurse before I leave
the unit with another patient or for any other errand.
Standard (I understand that . . .)
Treating my colleagues, our patients, visitors, and
business partners with respect and dignity is necessary to create
an environment where excellence in caring and nursing
practice can thrive. (People)
Expectations (So I will . . .)
- Show empathy to every patient and communicate my
commitment to assist in their comfort, safety, and
restoration to health.
- Demonstrate my respect to my colleagues and
co-condition and concerns, mentoring new employees,
resolving conflicts constructively, and proactively
scheduling shifts to meet unit needs.
- Come to work with a positive attitude.
- Offer constructive criticism to co-workers when
addressing concerns, praising in public and criticizing in
private when necessary.
- Be part of the solution not part of the
- Not complain to or complain in front of my
patients/families and staff (i.e. too busy or short staffed, no
- Follow up on patient concerns every time to the
- Respond promptly to patient requests.
- Always refer to physicians as Dr. ____.
- Make sure that my patients are checked at least every
___ 1 hour ___ 30 minutes ___
15 minutes per clinical standard and as
Standard (I understand that . . )
?Patients and their families are scared and
vulnerable. It is my responsibility to communicate through verbal
and non-vernal means that I am here to help.
Expectations (So I will . . .)
- Introduce myself to all my patients and family
- Take time to tell them what to expect and keep them
- Answer lights promptly to meet a patient's needs and
prevent patient falls.
- Respect the patient's privacy and modesty -
close curtains, cover patient, reduce traffic in patient's
room during procedures.
- Explain all procedures, test, medications and monitoring
equipment, etc to each patient and discuss plan of care
for the day/shift with patient and family.
- Be compassionate and empathetic to their concerns at all
?The intent of this agreement is not to
provide a complete list of job responsibilities. Its intent rather
is to be a positive statement of concrete actions
which will ensure that nursing practice at Saint Louis
University Hospital sets the benchmark for excellence
in service, quality, and people.
As a member of the nursing staff at Saint Louis University
Hospital, I understand that on behalf of my hospital,
our patients and my co-workers I will conduct myself according to
this agreement at all times.
Staff Signature __________________________________________ Print
Name ___________________________________________ Date
Manager Signature _________________________________________
Print Name _________________________________________ Date