Civil Engineer - Distribution (St Louis; Columbus)
Company: Burns & McDonnell
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Burns & McDonnell is seeking a Civil Engineer for our St. Louis
Missouri or Columbus Ohio office. The Civil Engineer will work on a
variety of 2.4kV to 69kV overhead and underground utility
distribution projects. The Staff Civil Engineer will work with a
project team to implement effective and creative solutions for the
distribution grid according to budget constraints, design factors
and client needs. This position will require interface with utility
clients and collaboration with multiple offices Responsibilities
may include but not limited to:
- Prepare and develop distribution and subtransmission voltage
construction packages for both overhead and underground projects,
including distribution equipment installation, conduit and duct
bank design, feeder replacement, cable replacement, and new feeder
- Develop routing analysis for the design of low to medium
voltage (2.4-69kV) distribution and subtransmission lines using
CADD/GIS design and mapping software.
- Determine construction feasibility through route studies,
conflict analysis, and construction cost estimating.
- Perform field inspections, measurements or calculations for
overhead and underground electric facilities on public and private
- Leverage commercially available simulation software and other
tools to evaluate different scenarios and make informed
recommendations to the client.
- Produce reports and visualizations to communicate technical
results and interpretation of trends; effectively communicate
findings and recommendations to all areas of the business.
- Work closely with the project team to ensure deliverables and
services are being provided to client's satisfaction.
- Work closely with the project team to ensure that projects are
following internal QA/QC guidelines.
- Perform QA/QC reviews of studies, reports, and construction
- Prepare calculations and assist with equipment specifications,
such as cable pulling calculations, voltage drop, pole
- Prepare proposals, engineering/project cost estimates, and
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less
experienced staff members.
- Regularly meet and correspond with clients, subcontractors, or
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related degree from
an ABET accredited program.
- Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering may be
substituted for 1 year experience.
- Minimum 3 years of distribution engineering/design
- Successful completion (i.e. passing) FE or EIT preferred.
- Professional Engineer (PE) a plus.
- Strong knowledge of overhead and underground construction
methods and distribution system equipment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience conducting distribution field inspections.
- Understanding of distribution power flow.
- Experience with various distribution design tools, as well as
CADD and GIS to aide in design.
- Familiarity with topographic mapping & surveying, and
subsurface utility engineering/utility locating procedures and
- Knowledge regarding easements, right-of-way, and
- Familiarity with NESC code for electrical distribution design
and construction guidelines.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Capable of devising new, more efficient approaches to solving
problems and processes.
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to
Keywords: Burns & McDonnell, St. Louis , Civil Engineer - Distribution (St Louis; Columbus), Other , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!