Student Success Advisor
Company: Missouri Baptist University
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: June 13, 2021
I. Basic Functions
The Student Success Advisor serves as the academic advisor and
mentor for students enrolled at Missouri Baptist University.
Student Success Advisors are assigned caseloads of undergraduate
students for the primary purpose of academic advising, academic
progression, and completion of the student's program of study which
spans the student's entire college experience. Student Success
Advisors build meaningful relationships with students and assist
them in their academic endeavors, cultivating an environment of
care and concern. The Student Success Advisor engages a holistic
model of developmental and transformative support with students for
course planning and selections, major options, and career and
educational goals. The ability to intuitively discern the overall
needs of a diverse population is important for the Student Success
Advisor to retain students and guide them to graduation.
II. Responsibilities & Authority
- Advise students on academic processes, procedures, and plans
for success and completion.
- Strive to meet student needs related to success and retention
using a holistic model of care and concern.
- Advise students on course selection, assist them in the
registration process and academic goal setting.
- Teach students beneficial college success skills such as study
skills, time management, organization, critical thinking skill and
- Assess students' complex needs, offer suggestions when
appropriate, and make relevant referrals.
- Engage in regular monitoring of academic progress, data
collection supporting retention and completion efforts and athletic
- Develop educational plans for students and recommend applicable
- Collaborate with faculty, academic divisions and other SSC
staff on advisement issues.
- Remain current with NACADA best practices.
- Monitor individual student progress and perform proactive
advising outreach to discuss academic issues, program completion,
and career goals to support retention while ensuring compliance to
standards, policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with the university community to support students'
educational experience resulting in action plans leading to student
- Collaborate with the Career Development Department to assist
students in career exploration to assist with the academic advising
- Promote a culture of acceptance and hospitality.
- Refer students to Disability Services Coordinator when
- Supervise Student Success Center students, student staff and
- Assist the Director of Student Success, Academic Advising, and
Retention in interviewing, hiring, and training SSC staff.
- Assist the Assistant Director of Assessment, Data, and Project
Coordination in the collection and analysis of student and program
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Student Success,
Academic Advising, and Retention.
Reports to Director of Student Success, Academic Advising, and
IV. Performance Measurement Criteria
An annual performance evaluation shall be conducted by the
Director of Student Success, Academic Advising, and Retention to
determine if the position's overall performance is meeting the
expected requirements of his/her role and to review and analyze
strengths and weaknesses, with a focus on future goals and
Ideal Candidates will be a professing and committed Christian
with an understanding and commitment to upholding the Southern
Baptist Faith and Message within the context of an intentionally
Christian liberal arts university.
- Earned Masters in College Student Affairs, Education,
Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, or equivalent discipline
- Two years of professional experience in college advisement
- Earned Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology,
counseling, education or equivalent discipline
- Two years related professional experience
- Demonstrate student-centered philosophy and excellent
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate effective organizational and administrative
- Demonstrate leadership and initiative
- Ability to provide balanced judgment when working with
students, parents, university staff, and academic departments in
- Ability to identify professional/personal limitations and refer
student issues appropriately
- Ability to operate with flexibility in a high energy working
- Responsibly manage confidential information
- Demonstrate computer competency including familiarity with
Microsoft Office Suite
Salary based on education, experience and proven
accomplishments. For information regarding benefits, please refer
to the Employee Handbook.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and
statement of faith via email to Jeannette Musgrave at
Keywords: Missouri Baptist University, St. Louis , Student Success Advisor, Other , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!