Company: Post Holdings
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: June 13, 2021
About 8th Avenue
8th Avenue is a leading, private brand-centric consumer products
holding company, manufacturing and selling private brand food
products primarily to retail, foodservice, and ingredient
customers. 8th Avenue Food & Provisions was formed in October 2018
through a combination of Post Holdings' private brands businesses.
The company is owned by Post Holdings and funds affiliated with
Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P. ("THL"), a private equity firm.
Are you looking for us?
The feeling of pride you get when you see something you made
being used to nurture the community around you is something you
can't replace. That's what 8th Avenue Food & Provisions can do for
We are not only passionate about the products we make, but we
also take pride in what we do! We believe it's what's inside that
counts. Whether it's inside our packaging or inside our facilities,
you'll find carefully chosen ingredients and people working
together to make the best products possible.
We are a growing organization made up of businesses that produce
quality products like Pasta, Peanut Butter, Fruit and Nut trail
mixes, Granola, and a variety of other food products.
We're looking for you! This is an exciting time to join our
This role is accountable for ensuring the 8th Avenue portfolio
is supported by packaging solutions that are highly functional,
consumer-intuitive, cost-optimized, innovative, and adhere to
company standards and industry conventions. The ideal candidate
possesses deep technical knowledge of the food packaging space,
including packaging design (features, functionalities, and
limitations), material/ component specifications, artwork/label
design while optimizing cost & operational interactions. An ideal
candidate will have a strong attention to detail, an awareness of
consumer insights, and an understanding of the impact to the
company's P&L. This role supports Branded and Private Label
Pasta as primary areas of responsibility, while sharing available
time with 8th Avenue's remaining Private Label business units and
Duties and Responsibilities:
Packaging portfolio stewardship & optimization
- Maintain packaging bill-of-materials and specifications for
existing portfolio, including primary/secondary packaging and
- Establish and maintain a database of current primary and
secondary packaging specifications; work with business units to
optimize offerings and reduce redundancy / duplication in packaging
- Proactively assess and quantify cost optimization potential
across items in the portfolio.
- Ensure packaging portfolio optimizes transportation, product
stability, and display requirements are designed to be compatible
with production lines.
- Ensures compliance with all internal and external/regulatory
- Supports company's environmental sustainability targets.
- Other duties, as assigned be management.
New package development & innovation
- Collaborate with Sales, Product Management, Finance, and
Operations to explore and commercialize new products (including
those with packaging-inspired innovations).
- Participate in cost/appeal tradeoff assessments.
- Contribute to the Stage Gate process to ensure packaging
requirements are defined and developed in an effective and timely
- Conduct hands-on bench and pilot scale tests to help assess
packaging performance, shelf-life, and quality attributes.
- Establish expert knowledge of various packaging materials /
substrates - their features, functionalities, limitations, and
production line feasibility.
Quality assurance and supplier management
- Match appropriate inks and print technologies to desired
graphics to ensure effective translation to packaging
- Validation tests to ensure packaging suppliers are meeting
- Work with Procurement to continually assess, nurture, and
optimize supplier relationships.
Education and Experience Required:
- B.S. in Packaging Engineering / Packaging Science, or related
- Certification in Packaging Engineering or Packaging Science
plus 7 years' experience.
- Recognized as an in-house authority on packaging systems.
- Strong teamwork, problem solving, and presentation skills.
- Advanced PC skills: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience
with JDE, statistical software desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, conflict
resolution, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project planning and management skills, ability to lead
teams and multiple simultaneous projects effectively.
- Able to be decisive and repeatedly meet deadlines.
- Able to remove barriers.
- Highly motivated individual with ability to work in a
- Ability to travel 30-50% is required.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Proven communications ability with all levels of
- Proven leadership in managing new package development.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and influence others.
Keywords: Post Holdings, St. Louis , Packaging Engineer, Other , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!