Tai Chi Group Exercise Instructor/ Health and Wellness/ South City/ Part Time
Company: YMCA of Greater St Louis
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: June 8, 2021
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit,
charitable organization committed to strengthening community
through youth development, healthy living and social
responsibility. This position's primary goal is to instruct group
fitness classes for members
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture.
In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities
with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are
open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are
genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are
hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst
in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to
develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we
are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning
with you. The Gateway Region YMCA strictly follows a zero tolerance
policy regarding child abuse.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuing education: takes
courses to expand knowledge base and practical skill.
- Attends all required meetings as directed by their
- Screens students carefully for risk factors, and any health
problem or medical limitation that would prevent them from
- Gives pre-class instructions; explains goals of aerobics, how
to take a pulse and determine target heart rate range.
- Is competent at demonstrating safe and effective exercise
technique. Can modify exercises for those with low-back discomfort
or musculoskeletal problems, as well as pregnant, de-conditioned or
- Assess levels of fitness and directs students to appropriate
classes, beginning through advance.
- Is conscientious of how the environment is affecting the class;
ensures everyone is wearing appropriate footwear and permeable
clothing. Is aware of ventilation and temperature. Insists on safe
flooring for impact aerobics, Plays music at a level that motivates
but doesn't over power cues
- Maintains visual contact, monitors each individual's level of
fatigue and looks for signs of overexertion.
- Guides students skillfully through transitions with easily
- Encourages students to progress when appropriate; applies
principles of overload and rest.
- Set up equipment and stores it securely after class and
maintains the cleanliness of the wellness area.
- Responsible for securing own subs if instructor cannot attend
scheduled class times.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- 18 years or Older
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- One or more years' experience as a class participant, leader,
instructor, or equivalent
- Current group exercise certification accredited by NCCA
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Physical Mobility: walking, climbing, stairs, standing,
kneeling, bending, leaning, stooping and sitting for extended
periods of time.
- Physical Dexterity: ability to use telephone, computer,
electronic equipment, exercise equipment, office equipment (fax,
copier, stapler, etc.), tools and machinery as needed.
- Lifting: ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Sensory Requirements: ability to hear, listen, speak, smell,
touch, taste, see and distinguish colors.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations
and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
The YMCA Welcomes a Diverse Workforce
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Keywords: YMCA of Greater St Louis, St. Louis , Tai Chi Group Exercise Instructor/ Health and Wellness/ South City/ Part Time, Other , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!