Trial Staff Attorney
Company: AFMIC American Family Mutual Insurance Company, S.
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: January 16, 2022
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an
organization's most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences
matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we're committed to
growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation
that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers' dreams in
ways never imagined.American Family Insurance is driven by our
customers and employees. That's why we provide more than just a job
- we provide opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team
in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for
what's next, you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey
that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join
our team. Bring your dreams.Job ID: R25990 Trial Staff Attorney
(Open)Compensation may vary based on the job level and your
geographic work location.Compensation Minimum:$88,400Compensation
Maximum:$141,600Summary:Job Family SummaryProvides operational
support through quality assurance and/or workflow analysis.
Performance workflow analysis/ performance/quality/audit reviews
for operational areas. Measures opportunities through operations
review processes or monitors workflow activities. Interacts with
various levels of management to communicate quality findings and
recommend solutions to continuous process improvement. Advanced
roles identify training/education strategies.Job SummaryProvides
effective legal representation, either personally or by retaining
and supervising outside counsel that handles complex litigation
involving either the corporation and/or its insured within
established corporate guidelines and the applicable code of
professional responsibility. Litigation includes all aspects of
civil litigation, including trials and proceedings in all forums,
whether at the local, state or federal level, mediation,
arbitration, workers' compensation, and administrative proceedings,
and any necessary appellate work. Provides legal advice to assist
the timely disposition of claims in a fair and equitable manner
consistent with relevant statutes and within the guidelines of the
company.Job Description:Job Level Summary
- Requires in-depth conceptual and practical knowledge in own job
discipline and basic knowledge of related job disciplines.
- Solves complex problems.
- Works independently, receives minimal guidance.
- May lead projects or project steps within a broader project or
may have accountability for an on-going activities or
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
- Level may stabilize for many years or until retirement.Primary
- Handles litigation involving either the corporation and/or its
insured within established corporate guidelines and the applicable
code of professional responsibility. Handles files and issues of a
complex nature. Communicates with client regarding file status and
- Analyzes file as litigation progresses. Evaluates cases and
seeks settlement as necessary.
- Conducts discovery (e.g. written interrogatories, requests for
production of documents, and depositions).
- Conducts motion practice.
- Drafts all necessary pleadings, papers and briefs to advance
litigation. Conducts necessary research in support of drafting
- Advocates client position in all forums (state and federal
court, alternative dispute resolution, administrative tribunals and
regulatory hearings) and circumstances, both formal and informal.
Negotiates effectively in the resolution of claims and other
- Stays current on state statutes and court decisions and
analyzes how statutes and court decisions affect the interpretation
and enforceability of the various policy provisions. May have or
develop areas of specialty practice (e.g. special property,
workers` compensation, environmental law, commercial
- Participates in divisional or corporate projects as
- Shares knowledge with supervisory staff as appropriate.
- Develops and delivers presentations for other departments to
inform personnel on how the law affects their particular job
- Adjusts reserves to reflect company exposure based upon file
information available at that time.Specialized Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions,
support or service
- Demonstrated experience making decisions independently gained
through a high degree of technical knowledge and expertise acquired
through litigation activities and trial experience.
- Extensive experience preparing civil pleadings, motions and
discovery and deposing witnesses.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of rules of Professional
Responsibility for the jurisdiction in which they practice.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of tort, contract, and
insurance law.Travel Requirements
- This position requires local travel for court appearances and
other litigation matters throughout eastern Missouri and southern
Illinois as necessary, up to 50% of the time.Education & Licenses
- Admission to the State Bar in state where they are located or
eligibility for admission to the bar and obtaining admission within
a year of hiring.
- Juris Doctor.Additional Job Information:
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the
results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a
non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade
secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing
employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations.
Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
- Must be licensed in the state of Missouri and either licensed
in Illinois or able to be licensed in Illinois through
- Based on experience, candidates can be considered at the senior
trial attorney levelWhen you work at American Family you can expect
benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial
wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental,
vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your
health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension
plan, an annual incentive, and a paid-time off program. In
addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave
are available to support our employees and their families. Interns
and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family
Enterprise benefits.We also consider qualified applicants with
criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and
local law.Stay connected: Join Our Enterprise Talent
Keywords: AFMIC American Family Mutual Insurance Company, S., St. Louis , Trial Staff Attorney, Legal , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!