Database Engineering Manager
Company: Wells Fargo
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: August 6, 2022
About this role: Wells Fargo Technology is seeking a Database
Engineering Manager. The Enterprise Data Management (EDM) team is
seeing an experienced Engineering manager to lead a team of
Database Engineers to support ORACLE, MongoDB, and EDB platforms
aligned to the Digital Technology and Innovation Technology group.
The EDM DBE team implements, and maintains the physical databases
with respect to system availability, security, backup,
optimization, and other tasks such as Business Continuity Planning
and Capacity Planning.The ideal candidate will be energetic and
people oriented with strong team building and development skills.
They will have experience in establishing a clear vision and
setting strategic direction to enhance the efficiency, reliability
and supportability of the application databases while supporting
all partner strategies and production performance requirements.
This position is responsible for direct management of approximately
13 full time employees. In addition, based on project needs the
candidate will work with peers within the department to indirectly
manage the work of team members. The candidate should be prepared
to participate in on-call support to ensure maximum application
- Leads efforts in executing Enterprise database configuration
management, problem mitigation, change management, and critical
situation management for mission-critical systems.
- Manages database projects and assesses risk, cost, and return
on investment scenarios and their impact as well as potential
compatibility issues with existing hardware/software.
- Plans and directs optimum utilization of databases and
associated staff to meet company objectives.
- Plans, schedule and supervises around the clock technology
operations including emergency situations requiring the manager's
attention after normal business hours to insure continual
- Reviews operating key performance indicators of database
operations resources utilization and performance.
- Communicates regularly with senior management to report on
- Coordinates, schedule and plans the installation of
database-based features and technologies.
- Works on highly complex problems where analysis of situations
or data requires an evaluation of numerous factors.
- Establishes and recommends changes to data policies which
affect work units directly and indirectly managed. Applications
- Conducts routine meetings with key applications partners to
review / discuss overall database technologies performance for the
specific functional areas under responsibility.
- Frequently meets with partners for project and production
support and providing database direction and leadership.
- Partners with technology teams to engage in developing database
technology / product strategies.
- Participates in and supports cross database technology process
improvement initiatives. People Management
- Monitors workload of approximately 13 FTEs staff to ensure team
members are consistently managed, challenged, and meet their
- Interacts with direct reports, customers and functional peer
group managers, and mid to senior level management.
- Proactively mentor associates to, in-turn, promote consistent
career management, performance measurement and skill development of
- Promotes effective teamwork and manage the resolution of
- Identifies ways to share resources across business services /
processes to promote information sharing and career / skill
development through job rotation.Required:
- 4+ years of Database Management experience, or equivalent
demonstrated through one or a combination of the following: work
experience, training, military experience, education
- 2+ years of Leadership experienceDesired:
- 4+ years of database platform experience with ORACLE
- 4+ years of customer relationship management experience
- 2 + years of experience managing geographically diverse teams
including both multiple domestic and offshore locations
- 2+ years working in the financial sector
- Ability to interact with and influence all organizational
levels, particularly senior management
- Good communication skills and ability to articulate complex
material to a diverse audience
- Knowledge and understanding of critical site controls, risk
management, compliance, high availability requirements, and
security systems for database systems
- Knowledge and understanding of large-scale enterprise database
solutions spanning multiple business functions and geographic
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills We Value Diversity At Wells Fargo,
we believe in diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace;
accordingly, we welcome applications for employment from all
qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, national
origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, genetic information, individuals with disabilities,
pregnancy, marital status, status as a protected veteran or any
other status protected by applicable law. Employees support our
focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a
strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly
establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our
customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all
applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes,
Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively
following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and
procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance
obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of
issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on
proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and
escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate
with the business unit's risk appetite and all risk and compliance
program requirements. Candidates applying to job openings posted in
US: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or
status as a protected veteran. Candidates applying to job openings
posted in Canada: Applications for employment are encouraged from
all qualified candidates, including women, persons with
disabilities, aboriginal peoples and visible minorities.
Accommodation for applicants with disabilities is available upon
request in connection with the recruitment process.
Keywords: Wells Fargo, St. Louis , Database Engineering Manager, IT / Software / Systems , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!