Charge RN 6SB Med/Surg Weekend Program Nights
Company: SSM Health
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: February 7, 2024
It's more than a career, it's a calling
MO-SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital 1201 Grand
This position may be eligible for our sign on bonus up to 40K.
Please check with your recruiter for eligibility requirements.
This is a full time, night shift, weekend option position!
We are looking for an experienced nurse to join our team at St.
Louis University Hospital, a Level I Time Critical Diagnosis
hospital in Stroke, Trauma and STEMI!
As a Charge RN at St. Louis University Hospital - Bordley Tower,
you will care for a variety of low acuity med/surg patients. You
also will gain experience caring for overflow patients from the
trauma, stroke, wound care, and dialysis units. Our registered
nurses come from a diverse set of backgrounds, making SSM Health a
great place both to share your own knowledge and, more broadly, to
learn from your peers. We offer a positive, upbeat work environment
where all medical personnel work together to improve their skills
and to become experts in their area of interest. Here we rely on
teamwork and relationship building and will make a difference in
the lives of our patients. We hope you'll want to join our
The Registered Nurse is a professional practitioner who assesses,
manages, directs, and provides nursing care care activities during
the patient's hospital stay and coordinates planning with other
disciplines utilizing a patient/customer driven approach.
Job Responsibilities and Requirements:
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
Essential Functions: The following are essential job
accountabilities and performance criteria:
1) Performs comprehensive nursing assessment/reassessment.
A) Performs age-appropriate admission assessment or transfer
assessment. Obtains input from family/guardian when
B) Accurately and completely documents findings.
C) Performs assessment of post-op/post-invasive procedure
D) Assesses and documents education and discharge needs of patient
and family on admission and throughout hospitalization.
E) Provides patient reassessment documenting pertinent observations
according to the patient plan of care, changes in condition, status
and/or diagnosis, response to care, procedures, etc., and standards
2) Establishes, coordinates and evaluates a plan of care based on
analysis of assessment data, patient diagnosis, lab data, tests,
procedures, physician orders, protocols and standards of care and
other information as relevant.
A)Identifies short and long term goals based on patient care
B)Formulates nursing interventions to achieve desired patient
C) Incorporates disease specific evidenced based practice into
nursing care plan and other documentation
3)Provides and documents nursing interventions based on assessed
patient needs, plan of care, and changes in patient status.
A) Collaborates with appropriate health team members for
coordination of daily plan of care for assigned patients.
B) Provides, coordinates and communicates patient care, including
accurate Handoff Communication Reports.
C) Administers and documents medications accurately according to
policies and procedures.
D) Monitors, maintains and documents accurate IV fluids and
parenteral nutrition according to policies and procedures.
E) Completes referrals as indicated by assessment data.
F) Requests consultation for special needs, equipment, or
information for patient and/or family.
G) Provides patient/family education and discharge planning per
documentation guidelines and protocol.
H) Clarifies all physician orders as warranted.
I) Acknowledges and implements physician orders in an accurate and
timely manner as evidenced by documentation in the medical
J) Assists physician with procedures/treatments as requested or
delegates to Care Partner as appropriate.
K) Documents "Readback" for all telephone / verbal orders.
L) Takes telephone / verbal orders only in emergency
M) Recognizes changes in patient's condition and takes appropriate
N) Involves the family/guardian when providing care and in
decision-making as appropriate.
O) Recognizes risks for patient and takes appropriate action.
P) Incorporates use of Infection Control practices in daily
4) Documents and or communicates nursing care and or changes in
A) Performs and documents ongoing evaluation of effectiveness of
care based on assessment data, nursing interventions, patient
response to medications, treatments and procedures.
B) Evaluates and documents effectiveness of patient/family
C) Evaluates plan of care and modifies as indicated in "A"
D) Recognizes significant changes in patient's clinical parameters
and reports immediately to physician and others as indicated.
E) Identifies problems, gathers pertinent data, suggests solutions,
communicates using appropriate lines of authority, and works toward
F) Reports variation from care/treatment following the occurrence
reporting policy and procedures.
5)Specialized Care: Provides specialized care to patients at high
risk for injury.
A) Restraint Care
1. Initiates/evaluates alternatives to restraint prior to
2.Applies restraints consistent with the approved procedure.
3. Monitors and assesses patient's response throughout the
restraint period at the appropriate intervals.
4. Provides specified patient care (toileting, skin care,
hydration, feeding, etc.) on a timely basis.
5. Provides consultation for peers to determine alternatives to
restraints and 1:1 observation.
6. Documents restraint use and associated care thoroughly.
B) Pain Management
1. Assess patient for presence of pain on admission and during
2. Incorporates patient's cultural/spiritual beliefs regarding pain
into pain management plan.
3. Implement pain management techniques. Focus on prevention rather
4. Include patient and/or family members in developing a pain
5. Consider other methods of pain control when developing plan of
care: massage, repositioning, immobilization, and music
C) Abuse Assessment
1. Is aware of abuse recognition criteria and incorporates it into
2. Reports signs of possible abuse/neglect to the Administrative
Director of Behavioral Health, physician, Risk Management and
3. Takes appropriate action to support patient safety when signs of
abuse are noted.
6) Demonstrates accountability for own professional practice.
A) Adheres to all quality and performance standards, policies,
procedures, protocols when implementing clinical and technical
aspects of care.
1. Participates in learning experiences that increases professional
B) Demonstrates appropriate technical and cognitive skills for area
C) Maintains currency in all hospital/unit information,
communication, policies and procedures.
1. Attends staff meetings/reviews minutes when absent
2. Participates in Committee(s), Shared Governance, Work Team(s),
in a leadership and or in membership role
3. Reviews Hospital/Nursing publications
4. Keeps up to date with policies and procedures
5. Participates and or keeps up to date with Shared Governance and
Unit Based Practice Council activities and information. Contributes
to requests for feedback.
D) Demonstrates ability to change and adapt to changing work
1. Responds positively to change
2. Provides assistance and support to peers, co-workers and other
3.Adapts positively to changes in unplanned work load and job
7) Ability to relate to coworkers in a professional and appropriate
A) Orients and/or precepts new employees when required.
B) Participates in and maintains a collaborative team approach
C) Functions as a resource person to co-workers, patients/families,
medical staff and other members of the health care team.
D) Effectively assumes and delegates care and other activities to
the appropriate team member.
E) Redirects clinical staff when the medical plan of care is
F) Communicates the plan of care to be followed on each individual
patient in a precise and professional manner.
G) Responsible for the supervision and teaching of students/new
8) Safety/Infection Control: Performs job in accordance with safety
and infection control policies.
A) Practices standard precautions and disposes of hazardous wastes
per established guidelines.
B) Maintains a safe, clean, comfortable, and therapeutic
environment for patients/ families/employees in accordance to
1. Maintains clutter free environment.
2. Follows hand hygiene procedures.
3. Utilizes Safe Patient Handling techniques and equipment.
4 . click apply for full job details
Keywords: SSM Health, St. Louis , Charge RN 6SB Med/Surg Weekend Program Nights, Healthcare , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!