Cardiac Cath RN
Company: SSM Health
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: January 27, 2023
It's more than a career, it's a calling
MO-SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital 1201 Grand
SIGN ON BONUS AVAILABLE FOR QUALIFIED EXTERNAL CANDIDATES!
As an RN at St. Louis University Hospital, you will care for
patients in their most critical time of need. In the Cath Lab,
registered nurses come from a diverse set of backgrounds! On our
unit, you can expect to feel valued and respected as a member of
Join our team today!
The Registered Nurse (RN) is a professional practitioner who
manages and directs nursing care activities during the patient's
Post Anesthesia Care Unit visit and coordinates care planning with
other disciplines. Assesses and cares for the patient in the
Holding Area. Must be energetic and highly motivated to support the
success of Saint Louis University Hospital.
Job Responsibilities and Requirements:
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA (%of time)
Essential Functions: The following are essential job
accountabilities and performance criteria.
1) Assessment: Performs comprehensive nursing assessment as the
database. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 20%
A) Completes assessment of new admission or transfer upon arrival
B) Accurately performs and documents patient assessments.
C) Provides timely ongoing patient reassessment documenting
2) Planning: Establishes and coordinates a plan of care based on
analysis of the initial assessment data, patient diagnosis, and
physician orders. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 10%
A) Identifies patient care needs.
B) Formulates nursing interventions to achieve desired patient
C) Identifies and initiates individualized care plans.
D) Collaborates with appropriate health team members for
coordination of daily plan of care for assigned patients.
3) Implementation: Provides and documents nursing interventions
based on assessed patient needs, plan of care, and changes in
patient condition. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) 30%
A) Coordinates, communicates and documents patient care with other
B) Provides and documents patient education and discharge planning
correctly on PACU flow sheet.
C) Reviews and initiates physician orders in an accurate and timely
D) Recognizes changes in patient's condition, takes appropriate
E) Adheres to medication/parenteral therapy administration and
documentation per policy guidelines.
F) Performs blood-drawing technique to obtain lab specimens
including blood cultures.
G) Anesthesia and surgical physicians notified of significant
changes in patient condition.
H) Assist physicians with procedures, examinations, and other
processes related to patient care.
4) Evaluation: Documents effectiveness of nursing care and modifies
plan of care as patient progresses toward expected outcomes. (1, 2,
3, 4, 5) 10%
A) Performs and documents ongoing evaluation of effectiveness of
care based on assessment data, nursing interventions, patient
response to medications, treatments and procedures.
B) Evaluates and documents effectiveness of patient education
including level of understanding.
C) Evaluates plan of care and modifies as indicated.
D) Evaluates effectiveness of pain medication and then takes
appropriate nursing action.
5) Professional/Leadership: Demonstrates accountability for own
professional practice. (3, 5) 10%
A) Participates in additional learning experience to increase
professional competence including
1. Committee membership
2. Staff meetings
3. Mandatory in-services and other educational programs
4. Evaluation of self and peer performance by identifying strengths
and areas for improvement.
B) Is at work as scheduled and begins duties promptly at start of
C) Functions as a resource person to co-workers, patients/families,
medical staff and ancillary personnel.
D) Identifies problems, gathers pertinent data, suggests solutions,
communicates using appropriate lines of authority, and works toward
E) Directs care delivered by Care Partners.
F) Adheres to and incorporates all customer service standards in
patient care and work practices.
6) Safety/Infection Control: Practices according to safety and
infection control policies.
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) 5%
A) Practices universal precautions and disposes of hazardous wastes
per established guidelines.
B) Maintains a safe, clean, comfortable and therapeutic environment
for patients/families/employees in accordance with hospital
1. Maintains clutter free environment.
2. Keeps conversations and background noise to a minimum
3. Adheres to dress code.
C) Reports risk management concerns.
D) Assumes responsibility for completing all annual mandatory
2. Blood Borne Pathogen
3. Hazardous Communication
5. Department Specific
6. Age Appropriate Care (for clinical staff only)
7) Service: Provides service excellence to the customers of Saint
Louis University Hospital by delivering timely, high quality care
in a courteous, and respectful manner.
(1, 3, 5, 6) 10%
A) Demonstrates Care and Courtesy
1) Provides prompt, respectful, courteous service.
2) Meets physical, spiritual, psychological and emotional needs of
patients and families.
3) Responds to patient needs promptly.
4) Apologizes for mix-ups and delays.
B) Communicates Effectively and Maintains Confidentiality
1) Listens to patient/family concerns and addresses needs.
2) Explains procedures and all education in a manner that
3) Allows time for questions.
C) Demonstrates Competence and Collaboration
1) Provides accurate report.
2) Provides quality care in accordance to standards.
3) Shares knowledge with other departments to facilitate work flow
D) Provides Cost Effective Services
1) Uses resources wisely.
2) Recommends changes in practice that increases efficiency and
3) Minimizes overtime and utilizes time well. Criteria
8) Quality Improvement (QI): Incorporates Quality Assessment into
one's daily work.
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) 5%
A) Assists in developing unit based PI plan.
B) Collects PI data as assigned.
C) Participates in discussion of PI outcomes.
D) Collaborates in developing and implementing action plans.
E) Participates in research activities on the nursing unit.
9) Age Appropriate Care: Provides age-appropriate care to:
Infant Child x Adolescent x Adult x Geriatric
A) Demonstrates knowledge and skills of normal growth & development
necessary to provide services to the age of the patient served by
B) Demonstrates ability to assess and interpret age specific data
to identify patient needs.
C) Utilizes communication skills necessary to interpret age
specific responses to service and interaction.
D) Involves family or significant other in decision making related
to services provided.
E) Demonstrates ability to provide service needed for the age
groups routinely served by the department assigned.
10) Specialized Care: Provides specialized care to patients at high
risk for injury. (1, 2, 4, 5)
A) Restraint Care
1) Initiates/evaluates alternatives to restraint prior to
2) Applies restraints consistent with the approved procedure.
3) Monitors and assesses patient's response throughout the
restraint period at the appropriate intervals.
4) Provides specified patient care (toileting, skin care,
hydration, feeding, etc.) on a timely basis.
5) Provides for trail release and removal of restraint as soon as
B) Pain Management (licensed personnel)
1) Assess patient for presence of pain on admission and during
2) Incorporates patient's cultural/spiritual beliefs regarding pain
into pain management plan.
3) Implement pain management techniques. Focus on prevention rather
4) Include patient and/or family members in developing a pain
5) Consider other methods of pain control when developing plan of
care: massage, repositioning, immobilization, and music
C) Abuse Assessment
1) Is aware of abuse recognition criteria and incorporates it into
2) Reports signs of possible abuse/neglect to the physician & Risk
Management, and recommends appropriate consultations (psychiatric,
Social Work) for evaluation.
DISCLAIMER: Performs other related duties as assigned or
Rationale for Essential Functions
1) The performance of this function is the reason the job
2) There are limited employees among whom the performance of this
function can be distributed.
3) This function occupies a great deal of the employee's time.
4) This function is highly specialized . click apply for full job
Keywords: SSM Health, St. Louis , Cardiac Cath RN, Healthcare , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!