RN Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU)
Company: SSM Health
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: August 6, 2022
Three 12 hour shifts. - Rotating start time-either 7:30 a.m. to
8:00 p.m. OR 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. (this is considered a "late
shift" and there are one to two late shifts required/week).This
position also requires the person to be "on-call" one day/week and
every 5th weekend (Saturday & Sunday) ,as well as, one major and
one minor holiday per year. -Provides leadership and direction to
the patient care team. Performs age-specific physical,
psychological, and social assessments, formulates nursing
diagnoses, and develops a plan of care, which includes
individualized treatment strategies for the post-anesthesia
- Completes and documents a thorough and accurate PACU
(Post-Anesthesia Care Unit) admission assessment and utilizes
critical judgment to analyze patient assessment data to develop an
appropriate plan of care. Implements a plan of care or care pathway
to provide individualized care for each patient. Plan of care is
based upon patient assessment, physician and anesthesia orders and
preferences, and procedure specific criteria in a manner that is
prioritized and timely.
- Demonstrates and maintains knowledge and skills necessary to
meet physical, psycho-social, spiritual, cultural, and age
appropriate needs of each patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to perform all
aspects of nursing care in both routine and emergency situations.
Communicates changes in patient condition to physicians and
necessary staff in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate administration of
medications and treatments according to policy, procedure and
protocol. Verbalizes knowledge and demonstrates consistent use and
compliance for written protocols (i.e.; pain, conscious sedation,
skin, restraint, abuse, parental bonding, etc.)
- Evaluates and documents patient's progress toward achievement
of outcomes. Meets discharge and ongoing patient educational needs
related to treatment, procedures, disease process, equipment,
medications, physician orders, and follow up care.
- Communicates with patient family members while patients are in
PACU in a timely manner.
- Reports outcome progress and patient specific information to
responsible caregiver when leaving department, end of shift, or
upon transfer to another unit.
- Demonstrates competence in delegation, problem solving, and
conflict resolution. Evaluates care given by team members and gives
feedback. Effectively supervises team members and maintains
accountability for standard of care provided. Acts as a resource to
other team members.
- Organizes and utilizes time efficiently. Demonstrates
appropriate prioritization. Maintains an organized work
environment. Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively on a
team. Demonstrates positive interpersonal relationships with
patients, significant others, multidisciplinary team members, and
co-workers. Assists in other surgical services departments as
- Applies the existing body of evidence-based practice and
scientific knowledge in health care to nursing practice, ensuring
that nursing care is delivered based on patient's age-specific
needs and clinical needs as described in the department's Scope of
- As an SSM Health nurse, I will demonstrate the professional
nursing standards defined in the professional practice model. -
Uses the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses to guide his/her response to
the current and evolving health and nursing needs of our patients
and our patient populations.
- Works in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned. EDUCATION
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing EXPERIENCE
- No experience required PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Constant use of speech to share information through oral
- Constant standing and walking.
- Frequent lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing
- Frequent sitting, reaching and keyboard use/data entry.
- Frequent use of vision and depth perception for distances near
(20 inches or less) and far (20 feet or more) and to identify and
- Frequent use of smell to detect/recognize odors.
- Frequent use of hearing to receive oral communication,
distinguish body sounds and/or hear alarms, malfunctioning
- Occasional lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects
weighing 25-50 lbs.
- Occasional lifting/moving of patients.
- Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, twisting,
gripping and repetitive foot/leg and hand/arm movements.
- Occasional driving.
- Rare crawling and running.
Keywords: SSM Health, St. Louis , RN Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), Healthcare , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!