RN - Ortho Trauma - Weekend Options - Nights
Company: SSM Health
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: September 16, 2020
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA (% of
Essential Functions: The following are essential job
accountabilities and performance criteria:
1) Assessment: Performs comprehensive nursing assessment as the
A) Accurately performs and documents patient assessments including
the physical, psychosocial, spiritual and cultural needs.
B) Provides timely ongoing patient reassessment documenting
pertinent observations according to the care plan.
C) Utilizes special assessments (abuse, pediatric, fall risk, skin
Care, etc.) when appropriate.
2) Planning: Establishes and coordinates a plan of care based on
analysis of the initial assessment data, patient diagnosis and
A) Identifies patient care needs.
B) Formulates interventions to achieve desired patient
C) Follows established standards of practice.
D) Collaborates with appropriate health team members for
coordination of plan of care for assigned patients.
3) Implementation: Provides and documents nursing interventions
based on assessed patient needs, plan of care, and changes
A) Documents patient care on the Perioperative Record and
coordinates and communicates with other disciplines.
B) Transcribes and initiates physician orders in an accurate and
C) Recognizes changes in patients' condition, takes appropriate
4) Evaluation: Documents effectiveness of nursing care.
A) Performs and documents ongoing evaluation of effectiveness of
care based on assessment data, nursing interventions, patient
response to medications, treatments and procedures.
B) Evaluates plan of care and modifies as indicated.
C) Identifies problems, gathers pertinent data, suggests solutions,
communicates using appropriate lines of authority, and works toward
D) Recognizes significant changes in patients clinical parameters
and reports to surgeon and others as indicated.
5) Demonstrates accounts for own professional practice.
A) Participates in additional learning experience to increase
professional competence including:
1. Committee membership
2. Staff meeting
3. Mandatory in services and other educational programs
4. Evaluation of self by identifying strengths areas for
B) Is at work as scheduled and begins duties promptly at start of
C) Demonstrates ability to make equitable assignments, revising as
needed to compliment nursing staff abilities and meet patient
D) Functions as a resource person to co-workers, patients/families,
medical staff and ancillary personnel.
E) Identifies problems, gathers pertinent data, suggests solutions,
communicates using appropriate lines of authority, and works toward
F) Directs care delivered by LPNs, CSTs, ORTs and clinical
G) Orients new employees as needed.
6) Safety/Infection Control: Practices according to safety and
infection control policies. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 5%
A) Practices standard precautions and disposes of hazardous wastes
per established guidelines.
B) Maintains a safe, clean, comfortable and therapeutic environment
for patients/families/employees in accordance with hospital
1. Maintains clutter free environment
2. Keeps conversations and background noise to a minimum
3. Adheres to dress code
C) Reports risk management concerns
D) Assumes responsibility for completing all annual mandatory
4. Maintains current license and certifications
5. Yearly TB testing
6. Annual Blood Borne Pathogens training
7. Hazardous communication
9. Annual Safety training
10. Annual Ethic training
11. Required Abuse & Neglect course
12. Required Information Security course
13. General Population Served competency
14. Annual competencies
15. Coursework as assigned for .Edu
7) Service: Provides service excellence to the customers of Saint
Louis University Hospital by delivering timely, high quality care
in a courteous, and respectful manner.
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 10%
A) Demonstrates care and courtesy.
1. Provides prompt, respectful, courteous service.
2. Meets physical, spiritual, psychological and emotional needs of
patients and families.
3. Apologizes for mix-up and delay.
B) Communicates effectively and maintains confidentiality.
1. Listens to patient/family concerns and addresses needs.
2. Explains procedures and all education in a manner that
3. Allows time for questions.
4. Shares pertinent perioperative information with Charge
5. Relays information to family in Waiting Room.
D) Demonstrates Competence and collaboration
1. Provides accurate change of shift and/or break report.
2. Provides quality care in accordance to standards.
3. Shares knowledge with other departments to facilitate work flow
E) Provides Cost Effective Services
1. Recommends changes in practice that increases efficiency and
2. Appropriately uses/handles supplies, equipment and
3. Decreases turnover time for better utilization.
4. Minimizes overtime, effectively utilizes time.
8) Performance Improvement (PI): Incorporates Performance
Improvement into ones own professional practice
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5) 5%
A) Identifies problems, participation in data collection when
Solutions, communicates using appropriate lines of authority and
Toward problem resolution
B) Participates in performance/process improvement process.
1. Assists in developing unit based PI plan
2. Participates in discussion of PI outcomes
3. Collaborates in developing and implementing action plans
C) Participates in research activities in the OR
9) Age Appropriate Care: Provides age-appropriate care to:
____Infant ___Child ____Adolescent _____Adult _____Geriatric
A) Demonstrates knowledge and skills of normal growth & development
necessary to provide services to the age of the patient served by
B) Demonstrates ability to assess and interpret age specific data
to identify patient needs.
C) Utilizes communication skills necessary to interpret age
specific responses to service and interaction.
D) Involves family or significant other in decision making related
to services provided.
E) Demonstrates ability to provide service needed for the age
groups routinely served by the department assigned.
10) Specialized Care: Provides specialized care to patients at high
risk for injury
(1, 2, 4, 5, 8) %
A) Restraint Care
1) Initiates/evaluates appropriate surgical restraint prior to
2) Applies restraints consistent with the approved procedure.
3) Monitors and assesses patients response throughout the restraint
period at the appropriate intervals.
4) Provides appropriate padding and positioning preoperatively.
5) Assures restraint removal, inspection of skin and as soon as
joint mobility as soon as possible.
B) Pain Management
1) Reports patient complaints of pain to physician.
C) Abuse Assessment
1) Is aware of abuse recognition criteria and incorporates it into
2) Reports signs of possible abuse/neglect to the physician & Risk
Management, and recommends appropriate consultations (psychiatric,
Social Work) for evaluation.
The following job accountabilities may be reassigned.
1) Telephone communication.
2) Assisting with patient care activity, i.e. scrubbing/setting up
surgical procedures, moving patient
3) Specific data collection pertinent to utilization of operating
DISCLAIMER: Performs other related duties as assigned or
Rationale for Essential Functions
1) The performance of this function is the reason the job
2) There are limited employees among whom the performance of this
function can be distributed.
3) This function occupies a great deal of the employees time.
4) This function is highly specialized. Employees are hired for the
skill/ability to perform this function.
5) Failure to perform this function may have serious
6) The function was performed by past employees, and is performed
by current employees.
7) Exposure to blood borne pathogens that require the use of
8) Exposure to tuberculosis that requires the use of protective
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Eligible for licensure in state of Missouri.
REQUIRED LICENSURE: Registered Nurse License in Missouri.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Previous perioperative experience
WORKING CONDITIONS: Regular exposure to the risk of blood borne
Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances. Exposure
to unpleasant elements (accidents, injuries, illness). Subject to
varying and unpredictable situations.
May perform emergency care. Subject to irregular hours. Pressure
due to multiple competing demands. May be exposed to latex.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Prolonged, extensive or considerable
Lifts, positions, pushes, and/or transfers patients. Considerable
reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, and crouching. Must be able
to lift 50 pounds and push/pull 100 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed, as
an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills
required of personnel so classified. An individual working in their
job classification must also perform specific tasks upon request by
supervisor personnel. Furthermore, the duties and responsibilities
for this job classification are subject to change at the discretion
of the medical center.
Keywords: SSM Health, St. Louis , RN - Ortho Trauma - Weekend Options - Nights, Healthcare , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!