Cardiologist - Dedicated Senior Medical Center - ChenMed - St. Louis M
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: September 14, 2020
Job Description The Market Cardiologist (MC) is a Licensed/Board
Certified professional who plays a key role as part of the clinical
operations team, providing direct patient care and assessments,
primarily in the ambulatory health care center setting. The
responsibilities of the MC include but are not limited to:
diagnosing and treating various cardiovascular ailments or
diseases, such as heart attacks and coronary heart disease, taking
medical history, conducting physical exams, developing a plan of
care, providing health education, specialty referrals and case
management referrals, providing follow-up care and applying clear,
in-depth documentation through written progress notes and summaries
according to ChenMed/Dedicated standards for quality, service,
productivity and teamwork. He/She also participates in clinical
rounds and conferences.
- Provides excellent inpatient and outpatient cardiovascular care
as well as, care coordination, echocardiogram reading, population
management of market's members, and oversight of PCP's
- Leads a cardiovascular care team that may include Care
Promoters, Echocardiogram/X-ray Technician(s), and in some cases a
mid-level (ARNP or PA) dedicated to cardiology depending on the
scope and member volume.
- Assists the Medical Director, Cardiology in managing the
day-to-day clinical and business operations and building positive
relationships with providers and key stakeholders for all
ChenMed/Dedicated Senior Medical Centers within the market.
- Consults with the Medical Director, Cardiology to ensure
compliance with guidelines along with participating in risk and
quality management programs, clinical meetings and other programs
that maximize and promote clinical value, improve clinical quality,
efficiency, physician/patient satisfaction and advance strategic
business objectives. This position will have an estimated 80%
direct patient care responsibilities (typically will consist of
outpatient care, but may include targeted inpatient visits as
needed), 10% leadership/administrative duties, 10% echo reading
time and is expected to include the following activities:
DIRECT PATIENT CARE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the care of chronic cardiovascular diseases, e.g.
examines patient and runs or orders tests to determine chief
complaint and recommends appropriate care or treatment plans as
indicated by patient condition and to meet their clinical needs,
for a panel of 3,500 to 4,000 patients (with the support of the
Care Team and Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant).
- Assesses patient's ability to withstand the stresses of
cardiovascular or other surgeries and helps surgeons or invasive
cardiologists in managing strategy for patient, including clearing
patient for surgery.
- Runs and accurately reads EKG, chest X-rays and echoes;
includes ability to know which blood tests to order to check for
certain types of heart diseases. Orders studies, tests and other
ancillary services as needed.
- Limiting external cardiovascular care where high quality
internal care can be appropriately provided to members.
- Finds most appropriate treatment for patient, i.e.
- Prescribes medication and treatment in accordance with patient
condition, payer coverage/guidelines and industry standards.
- Reviews PCP requests for external cardiology referrals and
participates in delegated utilization authorizations; determines
level of urgency of follow-up, referral/consultation
- May have responsibility for cardiology clinical operations of
2-4 centers in the market, under the supervision of the MDC.
- Exercises final medical judgment in issues of health care for
- Provides patient education related to heart disease, wellness,
prevention and early detection, including supporting market CHF
clinics and other patient education initiatives.
- Assists with training and hiring of dedicated cardiology Care
Promoters and NPs/PAs.
- Coaches and mentors PCP physicians and other clinicians in
cardiology management in the PCP setting.
- Participation in cardiovascular team meetings and daily
huddles, and participate in focused clinical discussions in market
huddles, super-huddles, and team meetings.
- Aids with quality and performance initiatives, assists with
implementation of cost reduction and market clinical strategies and
builds relationships with internal and external physician
Other responsibilities may include:
- Assists Medical Director, Cardiology with market quality and
performance improvement initiatives.
- Attends bi-monthly Cardiology Service Line meetings.
- Develops meaningful relationships with providers and key
stakeholders in the market.
- Uses the understanding of the local market dynamics to drive
- Assists and coordinates, in conjunction with the transitional
care team; hospital, SNF, post-acute, delegated utilization
management and home-based services for the market.
- Performs other related duties as assigned and modified at
- Reports to: to Associate Chief Medical Officer or Chief Medical
Officer with indirect reporting relationship to the Medical
Director, Cardiology or Regional Medical Director, Cardiology or
National Director, Cardiology.
- Direct reports: May have direct responsibility for allied
health staff such as the Care Promoters, X-ray Technicians and/or
Nurse Practitioners/Physician Assistants.
- Other key relationships: Market Chief Medical Officer,
Director, Operations, Director, Network and Medical Costs, Market
Sales Director/Manager, Center Managers, external sub-specialists
and providers in hospitals and post-acute care facilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of pharmacological agents used in patient
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures
within the Cardiology field
- Superior clinical skills in the management of seniors with
complex medical needs throughout all environments of care
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to build
relationships with external organizations
- Superb ability to cultivate strong relationships with our
primary care physicians, their center-based care teams and other
- Good analytical skills and the ability to manage for
- Conflict management and resolution skills, and ideally,
experience of population risk management or complex chronic disease
- Effective verbal and written communication skills along with
proper telephone etiquette
- Performs in a tactful and professional manner
- Comfortable with the electronic medical record and agile with
- Proficient Microsoft Office skills including Outlook, Word,
Excel and PowerPoint plus a variety of other word-processing,
spreadsheet, database, e-mail and presentation software
- Ability and willingness to travel locally, regionally and
nationwide up to 15% of the time
- Spoken and written fluency in English
- This job requires use and exercise of independent judgment
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
- MD or DO in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Geriatrics or
similar specialty required
- Board Certification in Cardiology required but may have other
sub-specialty training and board certification as well
- Current, unrestricted and active license to practice medicine
in state where position is located
- Current DEA and DPS Certificate of Registration required
- A minimum of 2 years' experience as a Cardiologist
- Prior experience working with interdisciplinary teams in
quality improvement and or medical/healthcare leadership activities
preferred Keyphrases: cardiologist jobs, cardiology jobs,
interventional cardiology jobs, nuclear cardiology jobs, preventive
cardiology jobs, clinical cardiology jobs, clinical cardiologist
jobs, non invasive cardiology jobs, echocardiogram jobs, vascular
jobs, radiology technologist jobs, radiology technician jobs, echo
tech jobs, cardiac jobs, pediatric cardiac care jobs, intensive
cardiac care jobs, nurse cardiac care jobs, cardiac care associate
jobs, cardiologist electrophysiology jobs, electrophysiology
cardiology jobs, cardiac cath lab nursing jobs, heart cath lab
jobs, cardiac critical care jobs, cardiac critical care medicine
Keywords: ChenMed, St. Louis , Cardiologist - Dedicated Senior Medical Center - ChenMed - St. Louis M, Healthcare , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!