Business Manager - Anthropology Department - Arts & Sciences
Company: Washington University in St. Louis
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: May 27, 2023
The Department administration provides the academic unit with fundamental support in various areas, including budget, finance and payroll, grants and research, faculty, student, and academic matters, and events and communications. The Business Manager oversees the work of staff, students, and temporary workers in the department and is responsible for managing the processes to ensure effective, accurate, and timely service to the academic unit. The Business Manager must make decisions that are responsible, accountable, justifiable, and defensible in accordance with department/University policies and procedures.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Manage overall processes for department administration in the following key areas:
* Supervise and evaluate staff.
* Plan and allocate resources to delegate tasks effectively to meet department and school productivity and quality goals.
* Evaluate and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of business processes and procedures.
* Hires staff in consultation with Chair, as well as students, and assist in training new staff members.
* Manage the overall operational, budgetary, and financial activities.
* Manage department accounts and authorize spending.
* Assist with preparation of budget and other reporting.
* Assist with purchasing decisions.
Research (Grant, fellowship, award support):
* Ensure pre- and post-award support as required including guidance for budgeting, planning, and application.
* Ensure processing of awards.
* Work with OSR and payroll to insure proper sourcing and payment.
* Provide required reporting and auditing to maintain accuracy.
Administration - oversee the processes for:
* Faculty and postdoc searches.
* Tenure cases and promotions.
* Event planning.
* Faculty administrative support.
* Communications such as website, newsletters, publications, etc.
* Coordinate faculty grant activity with accounting and grants administrators.
* Ensure compliance with all A&S deadlines and requirements.
* Oversee facilities and space issues.
HR/Payroll - ensure proper execution and good communication regarding HR issues in the department:
* New hires and onboarding.
* I-9 and visa verification.
* Payroll changes such as compensation, leaves, terminations, transfers, etc.
* Time reporting, and paid time off.
* Salary sourcing, cost-sharing, effort reporting, deductions.
* Payroll processing and verification.
* Academic appointments.
Transactional support within each area (finance, research, academic, administrative, payroll) as needed to assist with workflow, provide cross-coverage for staffing needs, and stay current with routine systems for training and supervision needs.
Other duties as assigned.
* Relevant degree and experience supporting an academic department or central department in higher education.
* Supervisory experience.
* Experience with Workday.
* Ability to prioritize projects and work independently.
* Analytical ability and superior problem solving skills.
* Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality.
* Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills.
* Effective attention to detail.
* Bachelor's degree and two to three years of experience in financial, human resources, and administrative management, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience with budgeting.
$50,500.00 - $86,200.00 / Annually
The salary range reflects base salaries paid for positions in a given job grade across the University. Individual rates within the range will be determined by factors including one's qualifications and performance, equity with others in the department, market rates for positions within the same grade and department budget.
If you are unable to use our online application system and would like an accommodation, please email CandidateQuestions@wustl.edu or call the dedicated accommodation inquiry number at 314-935-1149 and leave a voicemail with the nature of your request.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
* Up to 22 days of vacation, 10 recognized holidays, and sick time.
* Competitive health insurance packages with priority appointments and lower copays/coinsurance.
* Want to Live Near Your Work and/or improve your commute? Take advantage of our free Metro transit U-Pass for eligible employees. We also offer a forgivable home loan of up to $12,500 for closing costs and a down payment for homes in eligible neighborhoods.
* WashU provides eligible employees with a defined contribution (403(b)) Retirement Savings Plan, which combines employee contributions and university contributions starting at 7%.
* Wellness challenges, annual health screenings, mental health resources, mindfulness programs and courses, employee assistance program (EAP), financial resources, access to dietitians, and more!
* We offer 4 weeks of caregiver leave to bond with your new child. Family care resources are also available for your continued childcare needs. Need adult care? We've got you covered.
* WashU covers the cost of tuition for you and your family, including dependent undergraduate-level college tuition up to 100% at WashU and 40% elsewhere after seven years with us.
For policies, detailed benefits, and eligibility, please visit: https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and especially encourages applications by those from underrepresented groups. It is the University's policy to provide equal opportunity and access to persons in all job titles without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.
Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment - fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.
Keywords: Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis , Business Manager - Anthropology Department - Arts & Sciences, Executive , Saint Louis, Missouri
here to apply!