Director of Annual Giving, Direct Marketing and Participatio
Company: Washington University in St. Louis
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: April 8, 2021
Director of Annual Giving, Direct Marketing and Participation,
Advancement Programs - University Advancement - 49937 Job ID 49937
Location Alumni & Development Programs Full/Part Time Full-Time
Regular/Temporary Regular Job Type/Schedule This position is
full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week. Department
Name/Job Location This position is in the Department of University
Advancement. This position is for the Danforth Campus. Essential
Functions POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Annual Giving Programs,
Direct Marketing and Participation reports to the Executive
Director, Annual Giving Programs, and is responsible for
coordinating and implementing key Annual Giving and University
development programs. The ideal candidate is able to take on
complex data and create and implement an overall strategy for
Annual Giving Programs. Specifically, the director is responsible
for the ongoing development and coordination of direct marketing
programs to meet the goals of increasing donors to support
university programs and priorities with targeted goals to increase
donors of $100-999 (Century Club members) and to increase the
alumni participation rate. The director has the responsibility for
the Loyalty Society, the Annual Fund website, and the faculty/staff
campaign. In addition, the senior director will be responsible
strategy and implementation of a university Giving Day, Giving
Tuesday, crowdfunding and phonathon. PRIMARY DUTIES AND
- Plan and execute the direct marketing components of the Annual
Fund, including direct mail, phonathon, electronic
solicitations/communications, crowdfunding and social media.
- Develop a long-term strategic plan to segment and solicit
alumni, parents and friends to increase donors to the Annual Fund
and the University. This includes strategic analysis of past
performance of various appeals and solicitation methods,
acquisition rates, retention rates, and industry trends.
Consistently communicate with our peer schools, vendors, and
professional organizations about trends in giving. Provide ongoing
analysis of results and costs/return on investment. Identify,
evaluate, and implement new fundraising programs.
- Oversight of the technology used to support direct marketing
efforts for all university constituents including engagement center
system/vendor, and the data analytics system/vendor. Assist with
the development of website including online gift form. Ongoing
evaluation of trends in technology and methods of giving including
online giving, recurring giving options, new media, and electronic
- Manage all data as it relates to direct marketing, including
responsibility for data hygiene, segmentation, and other issues
related to ensuring accurate and useful data for direct marketing
including ordering data output and editing and proofreading
- Plan and implement Loyalty Society consecutive giving
recognition program including the direct marketing, donor
acknowledgment/recognition, and events.
- Manage and implement the direct marketing program for the
annual university-wide faculty/staff fundraising campaign.
- Manage the Corporate Matching Gift Program.
- Strategic--oversight and management of direct marketing
planning and execution for Annual Fund Roundtable that includes AF
staff representatives from all schools and major units. Maintain
regular communication with school directors and annual fund staff
members regarding strategy and execution of direct marketing plans
- Supervise and set strategic objectives for associate director,
direct marketing programs; engagement center manager and 50-70
student callers; direct marketing coordinator; administrative
assistant as well as up to five student workers.
- Additional duties may be assigned to the Director of Annual
Giving Programs, Direct Marketing and Participation by the
Executive Director, Alumni & Development Programs. Required
- Bachelor's degree with five years of development experience,
annual fund planning, strategic development, and/or marketing or
closely related field.
- Experience managing a complex, direct marketing program.
- Strong analytical skills to provide information and data to
volunteers as needed.
- Exceptional communication, relationship-building and
- Ability to work with individuals from across the
- Creativity, flexibility, and a proactive approach are vital in
- Excellent communication skillls, verbal and written.
- Demonstrate exceptional integrity.
- Experience, sensitivity, and diplomacy.
- Understanding of the high-level relationship-building and
strategies involved in securing complex gifts.
- Keen sense of accountability, sound judgement, and ethical
professionalism in a deadline-driven, high-performing
- Demonstrated time and project management skills and ability to
work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to set priorities and successfully manage multiple
projects and competing deadlines.
- Sound judgment and demonstrated experience dealing with
sensitive and confidential data in a professional and ethical
manner. Preferred Qualifications
- Experience within a complex university setting or national
- Experience working with high-level volunteer leadership.
- Knowledge of Excel and--Blackbaud software. Salary Range Base
pay commensurate with experience. Pre-Employment Screening All
external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be
required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position.
Current employees applying for a new position within the university
may be subject to this requirement. The screenings will include a
criminal background check and, as applicable for the position,
other background checks, drug screen, employment and education or
licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain
vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are
contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
Washington University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin,
genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Keywords: Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis , Director of Annual Giving, Direct Marketing and Participatio, Executive , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!