Director, Web Development - Office of Public Affairs
Company: Washington University in St. Louis
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Director, Web Development - Office of Public Affairs - 50569 Job
ID 50569 Location Danforth - Main Campus Full/Part Time Full-Time
Regular/Temporary Regular Job Type/Schedule This position is
full-time and works approximately 37.5 hours per week.-- Department
Name/Job Location This position is in the Office of Public Affairs.
This position is for the Danforth Campus. This position--will
occasionally require travel to on and off-campus locations.--
Essential Functions POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Web
Development will lead the university's central team of web
programmers to ensure the Office of Public Affairs is producing
websites that have well-written and sustainable code, are
lightweight and perform well on all devices, and follow industry
standard best practices. This position will also lead the
development of many of the university's highest profile websites
and its guided self-service platform. Central to the success of
this position will be the ability to understand and manage against
standards of high quality and efficiency.
- Lead WordPress development on major university web
- Research and develop new solutions for common challenges across
projects, work closely with design team to ensure proper
- Assist with regular updates and enhancements to the
university's primary web templates, guided self-service platform,
and email templates.
- Work closely with web team project managers and participate in
team discussions and decisions.
- Manage a team of web developers; provide direction, training,
and guidance to WordPress developers, lead code reviews.
- Create and maintain shared coding, accessibility, performance
standards, ensure that design and coding patterns remain consistent
and meet standards.
- Act as advocate for web best practices and accessibility
standards to broader university community.
- Work closely with team leadership to provide development
perspective in discussion and determination of strategic
- Perform other duties as assigned. Required Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree plus five years of experience OR an
equivalent combination of education and experience to equal nine
- Experience with WordPress, Gutenberg and the WordPress
- Experience developing in PHP, which requires integration with
databases, such as MySQL.
- Knowledge of current Web standards, design standards, and Web
- Proficient in the use of GIT or other version control
- Experience employing standard practices with regard to the
application development lifecycle.
- Experience in working with development, test, staging, and
- Experience advising, training and/or managing other web
programmers. Preferred Qualifications
- Five or more years of professional experience in developing
websites using open source technology.
- Prior experience in a higher education technology
- Prior experience managing a team of web programmers.
- Experience or training using web content management systems,
such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.
- Background in Interface Design and/or a demonstrated
understanding of working effectively with website designers.
- Experience with LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP).
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to web standards
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability
to prioritize and self-manage multiple projects
- Demonstrated aptitude to quickly and effectively adapt to new
circumstances and technologies.
- Experience with use of business applications in web-based
- Ability to estimate coding efforts.
- Strong desire to develop new technical knowledge and
professional skills on a continual basis.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, both verbal
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with team members
and campus partners.
- Ability to work with only general supervision.
- Ability to work extra hours and recognize the need to do
- Ability to adjust to change and demands on time.
- Ability to think logically.
- Ability to work well independently and with others. Salary
Range The hiring range for this position is $75,000 - $84,000
annually. Pre-Employment Screening All external candidates
receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to
pre-employment screening for this position. Current employees
applying for a new position within the university may be subject to
this requirement. The screenings will include a criminal background
check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks,
drug screen, employment and education or licensure/certification
verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or
governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon
successful completion of required screening. Washington University
is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or
protected veteran status.
Keywords: Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis , Director, Web Development - Office of Public Affairs, Executive , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!