Experienced Stress (Strength / Structural) Engineer
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: September 24, 2022
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better
place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work
that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion
are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for
every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with
great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect,
explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you'll learn
and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your
future with us.
Boeing Global Services is currently seeking an Experienced Stress
(Strength / Structural) Engineer to join the Mechanical Ground
Support Equipment (GSE) engineering design team in Hazelwood, MO
This team is responsible for a wide-range of uniquely crafted
airframe and subsystem GSE, including equipment handling, testing,
repair, and air vehicle interface of many systems including
airframe/structure, hydraulics, flight controls, power systems,
fuel, armament, landing gear, and other mechanical interfaces
within the air vehicle.
This position provides strength input, guidance, analysis (such as
FEA) and approval of newly designed and/or modified mechanical
Ground Support Equipment. This position will primarily support
Phantom Works with the potential for supporting a variety of
military aircraft platforms, such as F-15, F/A-18, T-X, MQ-25, AAS,
and others. The work environment is an office setting, collocated
with mechanical design engineers. There will also be occasional
visits to suppliers to witness proof load tests and acceptance
- Supports proposal preparation and new business development
- Trains and coaches others.
- Works under minimal direction.
- Provides strength input and recommendations for new 3-D
engineering layouts, 3-D models, designs / drawings and 2-D drawing
changes for a wide variety of mechanical ground support
- Coordinate sizing and loads with air vehicle team for support
equipment-to-air vehicle interfaces.
- Performs a strength assessment for a variety of mechanical GSE
structural components, mechanisms and occasional fluid system
- Derives static loads through a free-body and apply them with
either hand calculations and/or finite element analysis (FEA).
Typical software: PATRAN, NASTRAN, Hypermesh, StressCheck, CSW and
- Makes engineering design recommendations based on analysis,
loads, material properties, configurations, safety factors,
- Documents results in a strength report.
- Support internal, informal peer reviews and formal design
reviews as needed.
- Evaluates supplier hardware non-conformances and material
- Supports internal, informal peer reviews and formal design
reviews as needed.
- Works independently with advisement from other, more
experienced strength engineers. This position requires an active
secret U.S. Security Clearance. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has
been active in the past 24 months is considered active.)
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate
will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location
options. (Hazelwood, MO or Berkeley, MO).
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Technical Bachelor's degree (or higher).
- 3 to 5+ years' experience working in stress /structural
analysis. Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in mechanical or aerospace
- Familiarity with structural, stress and materials analysis
including finite element analysis (FEA).
- Good understanding materials and material properties.
- General familiarity with mechanical support equipment.
- General knowledge of fabrication methods for mechanical
hardware, such as machining, welding, processing and assembly.
- Familiarity with mechanism and weld analysis.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel domestically, on occasion.
- Experience working with multi-functional teams.
- Ability to work flexible hours and occasional overtime. Typical
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree and typically 9 or more years' experience in an
engineering classification or a Master's degree with typically 7 or
more years' experience in an engineering classification or a PhD
degree with typically 4 or more years' experience in an engineering
classification. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree
from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer
science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred,
although not required, accreditation standard.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and
employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids,
amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in
our policies .
Shift Work Statement:
This position is for 1st shift.
All information provided will be checked and may be verified.
Please apply ASAP for this role as recruitment may commence before
the end date.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are
made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or
mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or
other characteristics protected by law.
Keywords: BOEING, St. Louis , Experienced Stress (Strength / Structural) Engineer, Engineering , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!