Senior Internal Auditor - Office of University Compliance &
Company: Washington University in St. Louis
Location: Saint Louis
Posted on: April 8, 2021
Senior Internal Auditor - Office of University Compliance &
Internal Audit - 51375 Job ID 51375 Location Danforth - Main Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time Regular/Temporary Regular Job
Type/Schedule This position is full-time and works approximately
37.5 hours per week. Department Name/Job Location This position is
in the Office of University Compliance & Internal Audit. This
position is for the Danforth Campus. Essential Functions POSITION
SUMMARY: The Internal Audit Department plays a vital role in
supporting the growth and operation of the University by conducting
objective audits and making recommendations to improve internal
controls, operations, and compliance with federal regulations and
University policies. It assists senior management and the Audit
Committee of the Board of Trustees in the effective performance of
their duties by providing objective analyses, recommendations, and
pertinent comments on activities reviewed. Audit focus includes
internal control adequacy; safeguarding of assets; financial
activities and results; operational efficiencies and economies; and
controls; federal, other regulatory and contract compliance;
University policy compliance; information system integrity and
controls; and cost recovery and investigative audits. Under general
direction, this position will plan and perform various operational,
financial, compliance or investigative audits in accordance with
the professional standards of internal auditing. This position may
also perform or assist internal or external auditors performing
audits in specialized areas. This individual reports to the
Manager, Internal Audit, and is expected to function at a very high
level of quality, with minimal direction and supervision. PRIMARY
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and perform operational, financial, compliance, and
investigative audits within the University and its subsidiaries,
within time budgets allowed.
- For audit projects assigned, evaluate risks and identify audit
- Based on above, develop audit planning documentation and
detailed audit programs defining scope of review and pertinent
audit steps to be performed within the defined time budget.
- Schedule and conduct meetings and interviews as necessary to
coordinate audit work with appropriate personnel.
- Generate queries and reports from the University's information
systems and analyze data to the extent necessary to support audit
- Develop and analyze flowcharts or other documentation of
- Perform audit tests, evaluating efficiency and propriety of
operations, adequacy of internal controls, accuracy of financial
data, and compliance with federal regulations and University
policies and procedures.
- Develop clear and concise audit work papers in compliance with
Internal Audit Department standards.
- Write clear, convincing, and concise audit reports, including
audit recommendations for review; present to audit client
management and others as required.--
- Make oral and written presentations to management in all phases
of audits, including presentation of recommendations and reports to
appropriate senior management personnel, (Chief Financial Officer,
Vice Chancellors, Controller, deans, department heads, business
managers, etc.) as required.
- Coordinate management action plans in response to audit
- Initiate and perform follow-up and monitoring of appropriate
implementation of management action plans.
- Perform other duties, as assigned, which may include: special
projects, investigations, internal control training, department
initiatives or management consultation or assistance; prepare
activity and status reports or other required administrative
reports; assist Manager or Director with Audit Committee or other
management reports. Required Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree (business, accounting, management focus
preferred, or if not, other bachelor's degree combined with
- At least three to five years of experience in internal
auditing, finance, public accounting or comparable experience.
- At least one related professional certification, or required to
be obtained within 18 months from hire date (includes: Certified
Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), or
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)). Preferred Qualifications
- Experience performing Sarbanes-Oxley Act internal control
- Experience identifying and testing technology controls in an
- Experience with data mining software and analysis tools in an
audit environment is strongly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge and experience applying auditing theory and
practice in accordance with the professional standards to make
assessments and reach conclusions and recommendations; including
understanding of systems, processes, controls, fund accounting
principles, University policies and computer/information systems
- Ability to perform, under general direction, standard and
advanced audit procedures; assessing risk, designing efficient and
effective audit procedures; performing research and analysis of
business processes, controls, regulations and policies; extracting
and analyzing data, and developing practical recommendations to
improve controls, compliance and operations.
- Project management and organizational skills demonstrated by
the ability to set clear plans, goals and objectives, develop
realistic project plans and schedules, and manage own priorities
and workload to meet goals and deadlines.
- Aervice-oriented and strong team player; with ability to
develop and manage relationships and bring groups together on
challenging or complex issues.
- Proven ability to independently communicate effectively both
orally and in writing, in a way that is persuasive, concise and in
the appropriate context, and is understood by the recipient.
- Proven excellent audit work paper documentation and report
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision making
- Proficiency (intermediate level or above) working with computer
systems, including Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Access,
- Ability to learn and use University systems and reporting tools
(AIS, HRMS, SIS, ADIS, RAPS, IDEA and others).
- Ability to exercise a high degree of judgment and discretion in
making audit decisions and recommendations. Salary Range The hiring
range for this position is $52,943 - $68,816 annually.
Pre-Employment Screening All external candidates receiving an offer
for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment
screening for this position. Current employees applying for a new
position within the university may be subject to this requirement.
The screenings will include a criminal background check and, as
applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen,
employment and education or licensure/certification verification,
physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental
registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful
completion of required screening. Washington University is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or
protected veteran status.--
Keywords: Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis , Senior Internal Auditor - Office of University Compliance &, Administration, Clerical , Saint Louis, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!